Romainmôtier Revisited.

Abbey Romainmôtier, wall painting, 14th century. Photograph HJPD

The film with that name ( ‘Romainmôtier Revisité ) is a journey back to the history of one the oldest monasteries and churches on Swiss soil. Romainmôtier was a small Gallo-Roman village where two monks founded a new monastery in the fifth or sixth century .  The first building found originates from the sixth or early seven century. Subsequent renovations and enlargements leave Langobard, Romanesque and Gothic traces. For centuries workshops created funeral monuments, statues and pillars to embellish the monastery, that became a Cluniac monastery before the year 1000 and experienced centuries of common history with the famous abbey of Cluny. The Romanesque church from early eleventh century and the Gothic Choir and columns are still intact. The 13th century House of the Prior, located next to the Abbey, shows magnificent halls, large fireplaces, coffered ceilings and wall paintings. The film shows the reconstruction of the funeral monument of Henri de Sévery (?-1396), the great prior of Romainmôtier, and the lapidary treasures discovered during archaeological excavations of the site of the old monastery. (Further information: