Santa Croce Church and Museum

The present basilica, traditionally attributed to Arnolfo di Cambio, was built from 1295, on the site where, around 1210, the first Franciscan friars to arrive in Florence had a small oratory. Santa Croce is planned as an Egyptian cross, with an open timber roof; there are many tomb slabs set into the pavement. The church serves as museum as well and organizes exhibitions. Several of the great Florentine families acquired the patronage of chapels in Santa Croce, thereby assuming the honour of decorating and furnishing them, including paintings Giotto, Taddeo Gaddi, Bernardo Daddi, Maso di Banco, Andrea Orcagna, Giovanni da Milano, Niccolò di Pietro Gerini and Agnolo Gaddi. The Pazzi Chapel (1429) was designed and begun by Filippo Brunelleschi and is decorated by glazed terracotta roundels by Luca della Robbia and his followers. The wooden Crucifix in the Bardi di Vernio Chapel and the stone Annunciation in the right aisle, are both by Donatello. The Santa Croce was to become the resting-place of so many great Italians (a.o Michelangelo, Machiavelli, Alfieri, Dante) Alighieri (1829).

Museum: Santa Croce Church and Museum
City: Florence
Country: Italy
Address: Piazza Santa Croce