Museum of Fine Arts

The Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts) was instituted by the governmental Decree of September 1, 1801; the core of its collection was therefore the fruit of the French Revolution, coming notably from the many religious establishments that were subsequently closed in Rouen. The museum was initially installed on the first floor of the city hall, before being inaugurated in February 1880 in its current premises, a building designed by architect Louis Sauvageot. The museum’s collection of paintings, sculptures, drawings and art objects – one of the finest in provincial France – covers all the schools from the 16th to the 20th century. The 17th century is well represented with works by Caravaggio, Velàsquez and Poussin, and a significant number of religious paintings from the French school. The collection of French 19th-century paintings is particularly complete, with works by Géricault, Ingres and Delacroix, and the largest group of Impressionist paintings outside Paris.

Museum: Museum of Fine Arts
City:
Country: France
Address: 26, rue Lecanuet
Website: http://www.rouen-musees.com